Re: PATCH (3.0.X branch): Move fix for libstdc++/5037?

>> If possible, I would like an authoritative answer on whether
>> libstdc++/5037 should be closed with or without this patch being moved
>> to the 3.0.X branch.  Discussion on libstdc++ reached agreement that
>> it can only affect sparc ports (obvious from file touched) and is
>> fully upward and downward compatible with all released versions of gcc
>> 3.0.  However, the root bug is only fixed when all code is recompiled.

> I am sorely distressed to find that the fix did not make it into 3.0.3.
> I had thought that it had already been agreed to put it into the 3.0
> line well before the 3.0.3 release.  Why were we in such a hurry to get
> it done if it was not meant to fix anything?  The omission seems a
> terrible lapse in the release process.

> My feeling now is that we need a 3.0.4 release immediately, or at the
> least a public announcement to promote the patch for sparc users.

I am sorry if I missed an implicit approval to place it on the branch
before the 3.0.3 release.  I asked for explicit permission twelve days
before that release and never heard to do it.  It was tweaked, on the
mainline, nine days before that release (this point explains why I do
not move patches right before release without explicit permission).  I
left town seven days before release.

OK, Phil and Nathan appear to agree, thus installed on 3.0.X branch
and closed the PR (I did update the copyright year but otherwise was
as posted and and as completely bootstrapped on sparc-sun-solaris2.7
against the gcc 3.0.X branch).

Regards,
Loren
--
Loren J. Rittle
Senior Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Object Technology Lab