Re: Severity and Priority in the GNATS database

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Jeffrey Turner wrote:

> Just out of curiosity - do the severity and priority
> mean anything?  They don't seem to effect the order
> in which the problems are assigned, analyzed or tackled.

People work on the bugs they want to work on, when they want to work on
them.  They don't work on those they don't want to work on.  Mostly these
values are assigned by bug submitters and so are meaningless since they
only represent the significance of a bug to the submitter rather than that
to the GCC project.  This is why I'd like to see them go away in
conversion to Bugzilla (but won't object if other people can produce a
genuine use they make of them).  The only current use is that priority
"high" means release critical, but this only applies when a review of
non-closed PRs has been made to determine whether they are critical for
the next release - the review for 3.0 is long past and that for 3.1 has
not yet begun.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk