Re: Good numbers from Rittle's new string allocator

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:08:35PM -0800, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> It's looking like this should go in. Nathan, thoughts?
>
> There is a bunch of stuff in std::string::_Rep to do with allocations. Is it
> supposed to handle this kind of tuning gracefully? If so, how? It seems
> obvious to me that the default allocation strategy is way off, and should
> be fixed.

Not only is it way off, it's also not standard-conforming.  Growth
factors other than 2 are also not standard-conforming, but the LWG
has discussed ways to relax that.

Something like this should go into both CVS and 3.0.x, ASAP.
The status quo is embarrassing.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org