Re: Avoiding string segfaults

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:43:27PM +0200, Yves BAILLY wrote:
> This is my first post on this list. Sorry if it's not the right place
> for my query.

It's the right place for anything dealing with libstdc++-v3.

> This occures
> when I try to build a string from a null pointer.
> Looking at the code for the string class (basic_string actually), I didn't
> find any check against a null-pointer when building a string from a
> char*.
> Is this the wanted behaviour ? Would it be bad to build an empty string
> from a null pointer ?

Strictly speaking, it's undefined behavior when you try to do that (based on
[21.3.1]/9 and [17.4.3.7]/1 of the standard).  We could check for NULL in
the constructor (it's a QoI issue), but that would slow down all programs
everywhere that construct basic_string's from char*'s.

This is one of those places where I've thought about conditionally compiling
extra code into the headers when --enable-debug has been passed at configure
time, but I've never sat down and worked out a proposal.

Luck++;
Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance