The libstdc++ testsuite

On Fri, 06 Jul 2001, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> Nor do you need to guarantee of complete coverage. What is needed, is
> something that breaks.

But I don't know where it will break unless I test it all.  So, I'm trying to
generate testsuite entries that, rather than checking known regressions,
exercises basic functionality of the library (for those parts I know I've
touched) looking for new regressions.

I'm assuming we eventually want this sort of thing for libstdc++, it's
just that nobody has stepped forward to do it yet.  If I'm wrong, let
me know.

Which brings up my question of the day.  Are there any published
guidelines on writing test cases for libstdc++?  The existing test cases
are not entirely consistent.

Oh, another one.   I've been trying to slip doxygen-style comments into
code I've touched, assuming that's desireable.  Would it be possible for
someone (else) to come up with a style guideline on what and how stuff
should be documented that way?  I find it difficult to extract conclusions
out of the mailing list threads.

Yes, a third question, now that I'm on a roll.  What is the policy about
reformatting existing source to match the C++STYLE guidelines? I find
consistently formatted code much (much) easier to deal with, especially
in the depths of templated stuff.  Trouble is none of the SGI code follows
the guidelines, or apparently any guidelines, and reformatting can mean
changing every line in a file.  Years of being scolded (and in turn, scolding)
have made me hesitate to do this, but it sure is nice once it's done.
Should I or shouldn't I?

> Now y'all know why I prefer patches with testsuite entries. I got sick of
> harassing people for this.

Yes, and I'm a somewhat abashed reformed hacker.

Stephen M. Webb