Re: Again: Bootstrap failure for objdir containing colon

On 16 Dec 2000, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> I don't see any difference here.  What's the difference between your
> storing your build tree in /tmp/`date`/gcc and my storing my source
> tree in ~/src/`date`/gcc-cvs?  Any Makefile target that refers to
> $(srcdir) will break, then.

Oops, clearly I misunderstood! I thought you were referring to sub-
directories *within* our source tree. Obviously you're right, sorry.

> Because libstdc++-v3 is the first package (AFAIK) that exports its
> build parameters (header and library search paths), as opposed to
> having them hard-coded in the top-level build machinery.

I assume the advantages of this approch outweigh the disadvantages?

In the worst case, we probably should check for colons in objdir
or srcdir during configure time and back out with a clear warning
then, instead of failing near the end of the build...

Gerald