Re: classpath-0.98 merge for GCC-4.4

see http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/java/cpmerge.log

>>   - StringBuffer, AbstractStringBuffer, VMCPStringBuilder merged/copied
>>    from classpath; needs some review.
>>

> VMCPStringBuilder needs to use CNI in GCJ, I presume rather than the
> overhead of reflection.  There already is an implementation in the
> gnu.gcj namespace.
>
>>   - the logic in tools/Makefile.am to disable gjdoc doesn't seem to work yet.
>>

> It does for me on Classpath.  What's the issue with the merge?

lib/Makefile.am and tools/Makefile.am are modified in gcj; likely that I did
mess up something.

>>   - document the need to have antlr (and a working java) for maintainer mode
>>    builds.
>>

> This breaks down to --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-gjdoc when the
> above works correctly.
>
>>   - the classpath configury cannot handle gcj as a compiler for the build;
>>    currently most of it is disabled, or unknown command line options are
>>    removed in the classpath configury, but maybe this should be addressed
>>    in classpath itself.
>>

> Can you be more specific? How is gcj being used as a compiler?  Note
> that we now use the standard JAVAC= method to specify a specific
> compiler, but this was new with 0.97 IIRC.

currently we set JAVAC in the environment to gcj -C and let classpath pick up
this one. gcj doesn't understand options like -sourcepath, so I disabled these
in classpath (trying to check for the availability of -J using another unknown
option ;), and m4/ac_prog_javac.m4 tries to check for a working java compiler,
while we don't have yet when not building in maintainer mode.

  Matthias