Re: Reconsidering gcjx

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:
> I think our technical approach should be to have ecj emit class files,
> which would then be compiled by jc1.  In particular I think we could
> change ecj to emit a single .jar file.

I (and David Crawshaw) have actually done this.

  http://tool.ibex.org/

The Eclipse compiler is great.  I really like it.

Plus, lots of tools are designed to use Java bytecode as an
intermediate format (however ill-suited it may be for that task).
Making bytecode the primary input format for gcj would make coupling
such tools to gcj a less out-there-in-left-field sort of thing.

  - a