Re: Java-Gnome: jni or cni

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 09:44, Mark Howard wrote:
> The big question is: should we switch to CNI?

As much as I like CNI, and want to promote gcj usage, and to the extent
that supporting both CNI and JNI is not an option, then I believe that
java-gnome should stick with JNI.

I don't believe there are immediate technical reasons for preferring JNI
over CNI, however, I feel that the case for making java-gnome available
to the largest possible community of developers is very compelling.

History backs this up.  Look at Gnome-GCJ (CNI bindings) -vs- java-gnome
(JNI bindings).  While the Gnome-GCJ technology was really cool, I think
the limited audience for this package was instrumental in it's lagging
behind java-gnome.

For developers who are just learning about CNI and are excited about
programming with it, you will still be able to write application code
with CNI.  CNI and JNI _do_ mix.

AG

--
Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>