--bootclasspath overriding peer classfiles in a jar

So part of my method-stripping stuff means that while you drop
unreachable methods, you don't always drop the calls to those methods.
Same with field references.  Previously, I was compiling one .class
file at a time and adding the "full, unpruned" libgcj.jar to the
CLASSPATH.

I'm trying to move towards jar-at-a-time, and my first step is to get
'gcj -c foo.jar' working.  Unfortunately, it seems that if a class
appears in both the bootclasspath *and* in foo.jar, then other classes
in foo.jar which reference that class will get the jarred version, not
the bootclasspath version.

  1. Is this the intended behavior?

  2. If so, where should I start looking for a hack to alter this
     behavior?

  - a

--
"It's lucky," he added, after a pause, "that there are such a lot of
islands in the world.  I almost envy you, Mr. Watson."

                                                   -- Mustapha Mond