Re: Final methods and the BC-ABI

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

Currently, the compiler does not generate vtable entries at all for final methods under the "current" ABI. This poses a problem in that --indirect-dispatch code will not be able to inter-operate with "current ABI" code. So, I propose that the compiler be changed to generate vtable entries for all final methods.

Is this the only (or primary) binary interoperability between the two ABIs? If the long-term migrataion path is towards the binary compatible ABI as the default, then I don't see why interoperability matters. In that future I can imagine you'd only use the current ABI on embedded systems without shared libraries. On such systems wouldn't you want to avoid generating useless vtable entries?

But I won't make any strong objections to the change you're proposing. You have more of the big picture at this point than I have.
--
--Per Bothner
per@bothner.com http://per.bothner.com/