Re: installing GCJ 3.3 and deploying executables constructed withit

> It's perhaps a mistake to hard-code
> http://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourceware/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3; there will
> doubtless be a 3.3.1 with bug fixes.

I thought of this concern as well.

Since I personally follow the GCJ releases closely, however, I will update the link
when 3.3.1 becomes available. I'll announce it prominently on the front page of the
web site as well. It would be "breaking news"!

> You assume bash.
> "you should modify your .bash_profile configuration"  Who says they use
> bash?

It is a concrete example of how it could work. I try to point to as many
relevant links as possible for people who want to create their own customized
variation on the procedure. What's more, for the truly generic procedure (requiring
quite some interpretation, however), I've pointed to the GCC/GCJ manual.

By the way, people who use different shells from bash are usually
quite advanced in their knowledge of linux. They know how to do the "mutatis
mutandis" modifications. Less proficient users usually go with the default and are
happy not to get burdened with too many choices -- at that particular point of their
progress in mastering linux.

> A user only really needs to install a new compiler as root if they
> intend others to use it.

Point taken.

> If you only need to run executables, it is sufficient to define the
> SOnames that appear in the output of "ldd".  It shouldn't be necessary
> to provide additional symlinks.

Point taken.

I've just added these two points with credit to you!