Re: 3.3 configure static

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik Poupaert <erik.poupaert@skynet.be> writes:

Erik> It's only a temporary problem. One day 3.3 will replace 3.2.x on
Erik> most machines, and the problem will be gone.

Actually, moving to 3.3 won't be a panacea.  At least, not for gcj.

The problem is that every time we change the library, we break binary
compatibility.

The fix is the "new ABI" work, in particular -findirect-dispatch.
I think this really will be a good solution to the problems, or at
least it will reduce them to manageable size.

Erik> It's just an issue of perception. The dlls the Windows
Erik> executable depends on, are on the machine anyway.

The usual Linux approach is to target a particular distribution and
release.  Then things work well.

It's harder with gcj, since the distributions lag gcc by quite a bit,
and libgcj changes frequently.  Usually you end up wanting the next
gcj release, or sometimes the cvs version.