Re: Enhancement Request

On Thursday, December 26, 2002, at 01:00 PM, Jeff Sturm wrote:

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Glenn Chambers wrote:
Portable.NET is an implementation of C# and the associated runtime.
Its runtime requirements are strangely similar to Java's...
I had a look at Portable .NET this week. It appears they lifted boehm-gc
and libffi straight from GCC sources. Interestingly, boehm-gc is
configured exactly as for libgcj, even with GC_GCJ_SUPPORT.

So it shouldn't be difficult to configure both runtimes so that they
can share the collector library. I don't think installing gc.h really
helps with that, however.
If the libffi and 'gcj/gc.h' files existed, I'd hack the configuration
of Portable.NET to use the installed files instead of its own, thus
ensuring consistency.  I do agree with Tom's previous comment that
installing 'gc.h' directly into <prefix>/include isn't entirely
appropriate.

I'm a transplant from Pittsburgh, and a University of Pittsburgh
alumnus.  But I work about four miles from the UT campus.
I've moved back to Detroit since then.  Do you participate in TALUG?
I've thought about joining, but with two kids, one just turned 1 year
old, I don't have a lot of free time.  I went to a meeting once; seemed
to be a reasonably interesting bunch of people.  I should make an
effort to get to a few meetings; I'm job-hunting, and don't have a lot
of 'networking' connections.

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH