This is the mail archive of the java@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the Java project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: direct threaded interpreter


>>>>> "Bryce" == Bryce McKinlay <bryce@waitaki.otago.ac.nz> writes:

Bryce> I'd prefer to avoid #ifdef'ing different configurations if
Bryce> possible. Not only does it make the code messier but experience
Bryce> tells me that whatever configuration is not the default will
Bryce> probibly stop working sooner or later. A runtime option would
Bryce> definately be preferred if thats possible.

That would definitely be more difficult.  I think to do that and keep
the performance gains, we'd basically need two interpreters.  Though I
suppose we could do that by #include'ing the interpreter body twice.

What do you think of doing that?  I think it is a bit ugly.  I've
certainly disliked it in gcj -- but this is a different situation.

Other than maintenance, is there really much value in selecting this
at runtime?  For desktop/server use, I'd basically never run the
non-direct interpreter.  Only when space is at a minimum would I
consider it.

Right now it doesn't compile anyway, due to some gcc bug :-(.  It
definitely won't go in before June at this point.

Tom


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]