Re: thread initialization

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Tom> What I'm trying to do is use Java to extend a program via its
> Tom> shared library extension mechanism.
>
> This might be hard to do, because of the garbage collector.  The main
> program might not react well to the presence of the GC.

Is there something specific in libgcj which will interfere?  Normally,
programs using the Boehm GC can freely use the standard heap (it's
practically necessary... think about stdio for instance, which malloc's
its own buffers).  The GC will not scan the heap however, so one must be
careful not to store root pointers in malloc'ed space.

I know of no other specific pitfalls with mixing GC_malloc and libc
malloc... I've used this technique before.

--
Jeff Sturm
jsturm@sigma6.com