Re: Git ChangeLog policy for GCC Testsuite inquiry

On Sat, Feb 08, 2020 at 09:46:53AM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 10:08:25AM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > With Git you can't really have unwanted local commits present in a
> > tree if you use a sensible workflow, so if you tested in a tree that
> > was at commit 1234abcd and you push from another machine that is at
> > the same commit, you know there are no unintended differences.
>
> Maybe I don't have a sensible workflow, but often with lots of tiddly
> little binutils patches I don't bother with branches for everything.

Yup, same here.  And I sometimes "git revert" some of the patches I have
in my "work" tree to be able to test other patches, while making it easy
to get things back.  To prevent "death by a thousand branches" syndrome.
Apparently you can do similar with "git stash", but I never got the hang
of that.

Sometimes I revert a revert of a revert.  That's probably too much
though :-)

> Some of those patches tested might not be ready for commit upstream
> (lacking comments, changelogs, even lacking that vital self review),
> so I'll "git rebase -i" to put the ones that are ready first, then
> "git push origin <commit id>:master"
> just to push up to the relevant commit.  That works quite well for me.

I only ever push from master (or some other local tracking branch), and
never commit to those tracking branches other than immediately before
pushing.  This prevents mistakes.

Segher