Re: Git ChangeLog policy for GCC Testsuite inquiry

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM Segher Boessenkool
<segher@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 06:43:54PM -0700, Jeff Law wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 15:18 -0600, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > > As a reviewer, the changelog is priceless still.  We shouldn't drop the
> > > changelog before people write *good* commit messages (and we are still
> > > quite far from that goal).
> > I believe the current proposal is not to switch immediately, but to do
> > so after gcc-10 is released.  Feel free to suggest improvements to
> > ChangeLogs or summaries in the mean time to get folks to start
> > rethinking what they write in 'em.
>
> I think I will be quite busy until the end of stage 4 already, but sure,
> of course I will not shut up.
>
> > And FWIW, we're talking about the ChangeLog *file* here.
>
> I don't think we were.  I have absolutely nothing against only putting
> the changelog entries at the end of the commit message and extracting
> that later, of course (although it is almost trivial to copy it to the
> changelog files manually, I have the same workflow for it as when we
> still committed with SVN, just "git am" instead of more clunky stuff,
> I suspect it will streamline things, esp. for new people).
>
> > If folks
> > continued writing the same log messages and put them into git, I
> > personally think that's sufficient to transition away from having a
> > ChangeLog file in the source tree.
>
> Sure.  Just needs a flag day, always painful, but it will help.
>
> > I don't want to make perfect the enemy of the very very good here and
> > moving away from a ChangeLog file in the source tree is, IMHO, very
> > very good.
>
> If you rebase changelog files, then yes, it's a bloody pain ;-)

So do you have a script that takes a commit with a ChangeLog at its end
and populates the appropriate ChangeLog files?  I'm trying to come up with
one to make the process less manual ... it's definitely a part that requires
more typing compared to svn.  ChangeLog file populating could be even
done on the server-side I guess (and not appropriately formatted logs
for the extraction/moving process rejected).

Richard.