Re: What needs to be satisfied to become a type qualifier in standard?

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020, Akshat Garg wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am trying to see how a new type qualifier only for pointer variables is
> suitable to be in standard semantically. I have this thread (
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2019-08/msg02015.html ) where Joseph
> discussed a bit about what a new type qualifier should satisfy. Can
> somebody help me to know the full list of existing logic that needs to be
> satisfied for a new type qualifier.
>
> Is going with this doc (
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1548.pdf ), in section
> 6.7.3, sufficient?

No.  You should look at all the places, throughout clause 6, that refer to
such things as "qualified or unqualified type", or to a qualified or
unqualified version of a given type.  It's not the subclause specifically
about qualifiers that's the concern so much as all the places involving
qualifiers all over the rest of the standard.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com