Re: Let's remove all (or the largest) diffs from gcc-cvs@

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> Why the diff?  I don't remember the absence of a diff being a
> problem in the svn era (or at least wasn't argued much on the
> mailing lists).

I think the diffs are nice to have there (as for binutils-gdb and glibc)
for following the development on gcc-cvs.

> Can we remove them altogether?

The hooks have an option hooks.disable-email-diff to stop sending diffs,
but it looks like it disables the diffstat as well so then the emails
wouldn't include the list of changed files either.

> If not, can we cap the messages at a size limit?

They are capped.  hooks.max-email-diff-size is currently set to 524288
(I'm not sure what the exact message size limit is on the gcc-cvs mailing
list, but emails larger than that were quite common for some branch merges
in the SVN era because of very long lists of files changed).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com