This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Let's remove all (or the largest) diffs from gcc-cvs@
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp at axis dot com>
- Cc: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 16:27:18 +0000
- Subject: Re: Let's remove all (or the largest) diffs from gcc-cvs@
- Ironport-sdr: Vz0Siwk1JQKzsaY/saDEFcmLH/1IMbNDXUSGJy6PsktPRp9WYGmTPEC6pnNbCnKUhcGa8UdRPe vQKpdAeZolAMpdzfJ1IzKbLNvEsTilZcJVES2nizaj0QkJMRqtt0aFPq1fBoadLcF5QmItOntj JYKIP0rreJKPnNmR1ur/fB/9Sy8QXgDnCq3PyGCLp1I0Wz+6zxipjVUCs+QIJ78nI5riXlQIr1 K29wIDVf0LnBf9NLAUbl5gRorlonj7YqWhyyYBA2OczbHtDwFI2Sd9dQQsjF56lTsSt+V+0GOe LPM=
- Ironport-sdr: ykopJOPVb6M2cKrGkLgrL4i0AQ4egx6JoL+SaMkzGnCGXtyyqwNQx6bIgAc4mY/FAnemUcxa3Y MUGuIdNvyKUw==
- References: <202001181430.00IEUo8T004422@ignucius.se.axis.com>
On Sat, 18 Jan 2020, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> Why the diff? I don't remember the absence of a diff being a
> problem in the svn era (or at least wasn't argued much on the
> mailing lists).
I think the diffs are nice to have there (as for binutils-gdb and glibc)
for following the development on gcc-cvs.
> Can we remove them altogether?
The hooks have an option hooks.disable-email-diff to stop sending diffs,
but it looks like it disables the diffstat as well so then the emails
wouldn't include the list of changed files either.
> If not, can we cap the messages at a size limit?
They are capped. hooks.max-email-diff-size is currently set to 524288
(I'm not sure what the exact message size limit is on the gcc-cvs mailing
list, but emails larger than that were quite common for some branch merges
in the SVN era because of very long lists of files changed).
Joseph S. Myers