Re: gcc-cvs mails for personal/vendor branches for merge commits

Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2020, Jason Merrill wrote:

>> I think this is desirable.  gcc-cvs should only mail about changes to master
>> and release branches.
>
> I thinks commit mails for changes to all branches are desirable (including
> refs/heads/devel/ branches, including user and vendor branches) - but they
> should only be for changes that are new to the repository.  Existing
> practice in SVN was that all branches generated mails, we simply didn't
> have so many branches.

For user/vendor branches that are rebased (a desirable action), is there any
mechanism for excluding unchanged rebased commits from being seen as
 “new”?

I’m guessing that public development branches will probably gravitate to the
no non-FF mode, if they are to be used by people other than the primary author

.. although that does somewhat limit things; rebasing WIP onto trunk and
reorganising / squashing is useful as well.

Iain