Re: GIT: Monotonically increasing trunk and release branch ids

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> > Those look like the start of GCC version N development (just after the
> > branchpoint for N-1), not the branchpoint as commonly understood; naming
> > them "branchpoints" seems confusing.
>
> Ok, so what about basepoints instead?

That seems a better name to me.

> > I think the existing git hook configuration expects you to push only
> > annotated tags, not lightweight tags (so you'd need to use -a / -s / -u
> > when creating those tags).
>
> Ok, would use -a then; or do we plan to GPG sign some tags such as releases?

I think signing future release tags is probably appropriate.

> > This seems like another thing that would need new features in the hooks to
> > support configuring email subjects and contents like that.
>
> Are the git hooks we use shared with AdaCore or GDB or where they come from
> and can't be customized?

Right now we have our own fork of the hooks in ~gccadmin/git-hooks.  I
hope that appropriately generic versions of the GCC-specific features can
be developed that mean we can stop using our own fork at some point and
symlink to the version used by GDB instead.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com