Re: Test GCC conversion with reposurgeon available

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Joseph Myers wrote:

> Here's a test conversion with the conversion machinery in what should be
> essentially final form.  This is like the "b" versions (dead and vendor
> branches present but not fetched by default), with the addition of refs
> from the existing git mirror as refs/git-old/* and refs/git-svn-old/* (not
> fetched by default).
>
> git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-8.git

Hooks are now set up and ready for testing commits to this repository,
including integration with gcc-cvs and libstdc++-cvs mailing lists and
Bugzilla.  I recommend only referencing test bugs you open for the purpose
in commits, not real bugs, to avoid confusing people, as the messages that
end up in Bugzilla don't make it obvious that this is a test conversion
(the messages on the -cvs mailing lists are more obvious, as they say
"gcc-reposurgeon-8" in their subject headers).  Commits made in this
repository will not end up in the real conversion.  gitweb URLs in
messages from this conversion won't actually work, because they point to
the real gitweb (which currently points to the git-svn mirror).

All commits should generate commit emails.  Only commits to master and
release branches should generate Bugzilla updates.  master and release
branches do not allow merge commits, other branches do.  Branches in
refs/users/<user>/heads and refs/vendors/<vendor>/heads allow
non-fast-forward pushes and branch deletion, other branches don't.

Branch updates or new branches based on the history from the git-svn
mirror (with 3cf0d8938a953ef13e57239613d42686f152b4fe, the initial git-svn
commit, in their ancestry) are disallowed; this avoids someone
accidentally pushing such a branch to a namespace that git fetches by
default and causing everyone to fetch a GB of extra history as a result.
Thus, for continued development based on such a branch you should start by
rebasing (not merging) onto the new version of the history, and then the
rebased branch can be pushed to one of the supported namespaces (under
refs/users/<user>/heads/ if treating it as a user branch, under
refs/heads/devel/ for a development branch that gets fetched by default).

The hook configuration is something that seemed reasonable as a starting
point, not necessarily what we will have as the final configuration.  The
configuration file for the AdaCore hooks is project.config on the
refs/meta/config branch (but there are local patches to those hooks at
present, and as with other refs, changes to refs/meta/config will not
persist to the final converted repository).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com