This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT
- From: "Richard Earnshaw (lists)" <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- To: Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel dot crashing dot org>, Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus dot com>, Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim dot kuvyrkov at linaro dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Alexandre Oliva <oliva at gnu dot org>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:12:49 +0000
- Subject: Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT
- References: <5DCEA32B-3E36-4400-B931-9F4E2A8F3FA5@linaro.org> <155B5BFD-6ECF-4EBF-A38C-D6DD178FB497@linaro.org> <email@example.com> <9B71A0F7-CD93-4636-BFC7-1D1DBC040F07@linaro.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <6EE7BD53-6677-49D2-BCDD-56CD7DA855E9@linaro.org> <email@example.com> <88B4DAF3-33C1-445F-8F5A-809D5463D0F9@linaro.org> <20200108221119.GA94728@thyrsus.com> <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20200109023804.GR3191@gate.crashing.org>
On 09/01/2020 02:38, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 11:34:32PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
As noted on overseers, once Saturday's DATESTAMP update has run at 00:16
UTC on Saturday, I intend to add a README.MOVED_TO_GIT file on SVN trunk
and change the SVN hooks to make SVN readonly, then disable gccadmin's
cron jobs that build snapshots and update online documentation until they
are ready to run with the git repository. Once the existing git mirror
has picked up the last changes I'll make that read-only and disable that
cron job as well, and start the conversion process with a view to having
the converted repository in place this weekend (it could either be made
writable as soon as I think it's ready, or left read-only until people
have had time to do any final checks on Monday). Before then, I'll work
on hooks, documentation and maintainer-scripts updates.
Where and when and by who was it decided to use this conversion?
Will it at least be *tested* first?
Tested for what? We run many tests on the conversion, for example to
check that the branch tips are all sane, and many other things as well.
Additionally, Joseph has made many trial conversions available for
public examination as we've been iterating towards the final result.
FWIW, I now support using reposurgeon for the final conversion.
I want to also take this opportunity to thank Maxim for the work he has
done. Having that fallback option has meant that we could press harder
for a timely solution and has also driven several significant
improvements to the overall result. I do not think we would have
achieved as good a result overall if he hadn't developed his scripts.