This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT
- From: Alexandre Oliva <oliva at gnu dot org>
- To: "Richard Earnshaw \(lists\)" <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- Cc: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim dot kuvyrkov at linaro dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Joseph Myers <jsm at polyomino dot org dot uk>, "Eric S. Raymond" <esr at thyrsus dot com>, Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel dot crashing dot org>, Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp dot org>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 23:58:50 -0300
- Subject: Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT
- References: <20191216133632.GC3152@gate.crashing.org> <20191216135451.GA3142@thyrsus.com> <20191216140514.GD3152@gate.crashing.org> <alpine.DEB.email@example.com> <20191216153649.GE3152@gate.crashing.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20191225120747.GA96669@thyrsus.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <alpine.DEB.email@example.com> <20191226111633.GJ10088@tucnak> <5DCEA32B-3E36-4400-B931-9F4E2A8F3FA5@linaro.org> <155B5BFD-6ECF-4EBF-A38C-D6DD178FB497@linaro.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <9B71A0F7-CD93-4636-BFC7-1D1DBC040F07@linaro.org> <email@example.com> <6EE7BD53-6677-49D2-BCDD-56CD7DA855E9@linaro.org> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Dec 30, 2019, "Richard Earnshaw (lists)" <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com> wrote:
> Right, (and wrong). You have to understand how the release branches and
> tags are represented in CVS to understand why the SVN conversion is done
> this way.
I'm curious and ignorant, is the convoluted representation that Maxim
described what SVN normally uses for tree copies, that any conversion
tool from SVN to GIT thus ought to be able to figure out, or is it just
an unusual artifact of the conversion from CVS to SVN, that we'd like to
fix in the conversion from SVN to GIT with some specialized recovery for
such errors in repos poorly converted from CVS?
Thanks in advance for cluing me in,
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter he/him https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo
Free Software Evangelist Stallman was right, but he's left :(
GNU Toolchain Engineer FSMatrix: It was he who freed the first of us
FSF & FSFLA board member The Savior shall return (true);