Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 10:58:05PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > If you guys want to ever finish, you'll need to drop the quest for
> > perfection, because this leads to a) much more work, and b) worse quality
> > in the end.
>
> To me, that indicates that using a conversion tool that is conservative in
> its heuristics, and then selectively applying improvements to the extent
> they can be done safely with manual review in a reasonable time, is better
> than applying a conversion tool with more aggressive heuristics.

Then you need to just completely drop this, and always use
<username@gcc.gnu.org>, because a large percentage will get that anyway
then.  Which is fine with me, fwiw: it's correct, and it's a little
inconvenient perhaps, but it doesn't really make the result less usable
at all.

Precisely like weird merges on svn tags that aren't even on a branch.
Perfect is the enemy of ever getting a conversion done.

> The issues with the reposurgeon conversion listed in Maxim's last comments
> were of the form "reposurgeon is being conservative in how it generates
> metadata from SVN information".  I think that's a very good basis for
> adding on a limited set of safe improvements to authors and commit
> messages that can be done reasonably soon and then doing the final
> conversion with reposurgeon.

No, we want to *see* why it would be better than the alternatives, what
the differences are.

Segher