Re: Test GCC conversion with reposurgeon available

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 05:32:52PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Toon Moene <toon@moene.org>:
> > So we are going to base this world wide free software endeavor on a source
> > code system that doesn't keep time by UTC ?
>
> They all *do* keep time by UTC.

(Git stores unix time, instead -- close enough ;-) )

> What confuses me is why they every try to *display* anything other than UTC.

That depends on what you yourself configured (log.date, blame.date).

> It seems pointless to me to ever display local time in clients, but they do it
> anyway.

Many people only work with their local team in their local office.

For GCC we do not care, and we could always store +0000 as timezone
offset -- we do not *have* the correct data, and at least UTC is more
useful to display.

Segher