Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 01:50:14PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Segher Boessenkool <segher@kernel.crashing.org>:
> > Or doing what everyone else does: put an empty .gitignore file in
> > otherwise empty directories.
>
> That is an ugly kludge that I will have no part of whatsoever.
>
> Conversion artifacts like this

It's not a conversion artifact.  It's what people do if for whatever
reason they want to commit an empty directory.  It works, it is simple,
it doesn't conflict with other things, and above all, it is the common
way of handling this.

Of course since (as Joseph notes) we do not really care about having the
empty directories here at all, it is moot anyway.

> the goal of a repository converter

The only goal *we* (GCC) have is *one* converted repository.

> The ideal should be to produce a converted history that looks as much
> as possible like it has always been under the target
> system.

I don't know anyone who wants that, either.  Why would that be useful?

> Developers should have no need to know or care that the
> history used to be managed differently

Wait until they find out about changelogs.  A *much* bigger change, and
it will happen *later*, some time after the conversion to Git.

Since historical commit messages are pretty much non-existent (to say
it nicely), and it takes some sleuthing to line that up with the ML
discussions (which is the important part of archaeology!), the only
really useful part of most historical commits is the actual file
changes.  Which we hopefully have perfectly fine already, in all
candidate conversions.

Segher