Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 07:07:47AM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > For each of these exceptional commits a converter to Git has a choice
> > of dropping the commit, turning it into some sort of annotated tag, or
> > leaving it in place as a zero-op commit (anomalous but not forbidden
> > in the git model).
>
> Or doing what everyone else does: put an empty .gitignore file in
> otherwise empty directories.  This is safe even if your conversion
> creates such files from metadata (why on earth would you do that?!)

An empty .gitignore is only needed in the case where the empty directory
is genuinely needed.  I'm pretty sure that none of those in GCC are
needed, especially given that building in the source tree has been
discouraged for a very long time so an empty directory shouldn't be
present for use in the build; the most common reason (empirically) to have
an empty directory in the source tree is that someone deleted the contents
using git-svn to push the commit back to SVN (which thus only deleted the
contents, and not the directory itself, in SVN).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk