Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> git-svn did not miss any branches.  Finding branches is not done by
> git-svn at all, for this.  These branches were skipped because they
> have nothing to do with GCC, have no history in common (they are not
> descendants of revision 1).  They can easily be added -- Maxim might

Whether they have history in common is, in the case of
libstdcxx_so_7-2-branch, a subjective question (that branch was created in
SVN by creating the directory for the branch, then copying just the
libstdc++-v3 subdirectory, so that subdirectory does have history in
common with trunk).  In fact I've seen it go, in the reposurgeon
conversion, from being an orphan branch to a non-orphan and back again, as
details of the exact handling of empty commits (a commit that only created
the directory for the branch, in this case) changed (and I've wondered
about making the reposurgeon conversion explicitly reparent the commit
that copies the libstdc++-v3 subdirectory, on the basis that being
connected to the main history of trunk is more useful than not being so
connected).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk