Re: Test GCC conversion with reposurgeon available

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019, Joseph Myers wrote:

> I've made test conversions of the GCC repository with reposurgeon
> available (gcc.gnu.org / sourceware.org account required to access
> these git+ssh repositories, it doesn't need to be one in the gcc group
> or to have shell access).  More information about the repositories,
> conversion choices made and known issues is given below, and, as noted
> there, I'm running another conversion now with fixes for some of those
> issues and the remaining listed issues not fixed in that conversion
> are being actively worked on.
>
> git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-1a.git
> git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-1b.git

There are now four more repositories available.

git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-2a.git
git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-2b.git
git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-3a.git
git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/home/gccadmin/gcc-reposurgeon-3b.git

The 2a and 2b repositories are similar to 1a and 1b, but have fixes to
issues 4 and 5 I listed (they include attribution extraction from
ChangeLog.<branch> files and all of Richard's commit message
improvements).  The 3a and 3b repositories have further improvements to
the conversion machinery.  Verification shows that 3a and 3b have execute
permissions on files exactly the same as in SVN, at all (non-deleted)
branch tips and tags.  .cvsignore files are present as requested.  There
are mergeinfo improvements to avoid spuriously marking cherry-picks as
merge commits and to avoid having excessive numbers of merge parents in
some cases, but the mergeinfo improvements should be considered a work in
progress; further improvements have since been implemented in reposurgeon
since then to allow many more merges to result in git merge commits
without false positives for cherry-picks, so will be in the next trial
conversion after these ones.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com