Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, Joseph Myers wrote:

> Concretely: when I did a comparison of the tip of trunk against master
> from a reposurgeon conversion on 29 November, there were 1421 differences
> (files or directories only present in one of SVN or git or with different
> contents).  As of today with the SVN dump reader rewrite, this is down to
> just two differences (plus two empty directories present in SVN as git
> doesn't represent empty directories), and we understand exactly where the
> problem arises with a trunk deletion and recreation and what's odd about
> that particular trunk deletion and recreation.

Update: having done comparisons for every branch tip and tag, and
investigated all the problems found and collectively fixed the bugs in
question based on reduced testcases from that investigation, I believe all
such problems causing comparison failures have now been fixed (and all
problems causing tags or branches to be missing); I'm running a fresh
conversion and comparisons to confirm.  If those comparisons are clean I
may also compare the refs/deleted tags and branches to provide additional
points at which the tree contents are verified correct.

Note: these comparisons are after deleting empty directories from the SVN
checkout, because git doesn't represent empty directories.  There are also
two branches (c++-modules and melt-branch) where some files have SVN
keyword expansion enabled, and the files with keyword expansion enabled
need excluding manually from the comparison process.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com