Re: Commit messages and the move to git

On 02/12/2019 10:54, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
> On 19/11/2019 14:56, Jason Merrill wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 4:38 PM Richard Earnshaw (lists) <
>> Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com> wrote:

>>> btw,

>>> more

>>> It would certainly be another way of doing it.  Sometimes it would
>>> produce almost the same as an unadulterated PR; sometimes it would
>>> produce something more meaningful and sometimes it would be pretty
>>> useless.  It probably would hit more cases than my current script in
>>> that it wouldn't require the commit to mention a PR in it.
>>>
>>> The main problem is that the first line is often incomplete, and much of
>>> it is also wasted with elements like the full path to a file that is
>>> quite deep in the tree.  Lets take a quick example (the first I found in
>>> the dump I have).
>>>
>>> 1998-12-17  Vladimir N. Makarov  <vmakarov@cygnus.com>
>>>          * config/i60/i960.md (extendqihi2): Fix typo (usage ','
>>> instead of
>>>          ';').
>>> 1998-12-17  Michael Tiemann  <tiemann@axon.cygnus.com>
>>>          * i960.md (extend*, zero_extend*): Don't generate rtl that
>>> looks
>>>          like (subreg:SI (reg:SI N) 0), because it's wrong, and it hides
>>>          optimizations from the combiner.
>>>
>>> Firstly, this example misses a blank line between the author and the
>>> change message itself, which makes distinguishing between this and the
>>> multiple authors case harder.  Secondly, the entry really spans two
>>> lines and cutting it off at the end of the first line would be, well a
>>> bit odd.  We could try to piece things together more, by combining lines
>>> until we find a sentence end ( \.$ or \.\s\s ), and we could also strip
>>> off more of the path components to just leave the name of the file
>>> committed.  For example,
>>>
>>> i960.md (extendqihi2): Fix typo (usage ',' instead of ';').
>>>
>>> That might work better, but obviously it's harder to handle and thus
>>> more likely to create erroneous summaries.
>>>

>> Yep. I don't think we need to worry about getting optimal one-line
>> summaries for ancient commits; something reasonably unique should be
>> plenty.
>>

> Attached is the latest version of my script.  I used (very nearly) this
> to produce a conversion over the weekend and I've uploaded that here:
>
> https://gitlab.com/rearnsha/gcc-trial-20191130
>
> Note, that I might blow this away at any time.  IT IS NOT A FINAL
> CONVERSION.
>
> Some other things to note:
> - there are a number of known issues with the version of reposurgeon
> used for this that are being worked on
>   - emptycommit-* tags - my control script was out-of-date
>   - *deleted* branches - this is being worked on
>   - weird dependencies around merges - this is being worked on
>   - author attributions are sometimes incorrect - reported

I've just pushed a new trial conversion:

https://gitlab.com/rearnsha/gcc-trial2-20191130

The main differences between this and the previous trial are:
- The author attributions should now be fixed, please let me know if you
see any anomalies in this respect.
- the emptycommit-* tags/branches are now gone.
- the 'tags' used for revert and backport now use more gittish style
revert: and backport:
- the log entries for c++ style functions containing :: are now handled
correctly by my summary generation script.

Other issues are still being worked on.

R.