Re: Commit messages and the move to git

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 02:36:21PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com>:
> > Well, I was thinking of also giving some clue of what the commit was
> > about.  One possibly cut-off line accomplishes that, a simple revision
> > number not so much.

Sure, but it isn't easy at all to automatically come up with anything
useful or close to correct.  But if you start the subject line with the
SVN revision number, it is very useful.

> It's conventional under Git to have comments lead with a summary sentence.
>
> I think you're going to find that the value of Subversion revision references
> fades pretty fast after the conversion. That has been my experience with
> other conversions.

Bugzilla is filled to the brim with SVN revision numbers.  This won't
lose relevance any time soon.  Decades of history.

Most of the time after I type "git log" I type "/\<123456\>".  We need
to keep a way to easily map SVN revision ids to git commits, and
something a bit more elegant than the ugly git-svn footers would be nice.

Segher