This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Commit messages and the move to git
- From: Arnaud Charlet <charlet at adacore dot com>
- To: "Richard Earnshaw (lists)" <Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com>
- Cc: GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Arnaud Charlet <charlet at adacore dot com>
- Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 13:11:27 +0100
- Subject: Re: Commit messages and the move to git
- References: <email@example.com>
> With the move to git fairly imminent now it would be nice if we
> could agree on a more git-friendly style of commit messages; and,
> ideally, start using them now so that the converted repository can
> benefit from this.
> Some tools, particularly gitk or git log --oneline, can use one-line
> summaries from a commit's log message when listing commits. It
> would be nice if we could start adopting a style that is compatible
> with this, so that in future commits are summarized in a useful way.
> Unfortunately, some of our existing commits show no useful
> information with tools like this.
Strongly seconded. FWIW we've done that for a while in the gcc/ada directory
already since we're using GIT internally on GCC and GNAT sources.