Re: makefile dependencies

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019, Andrew Dean via gcc wrote:

> But I can see that aarch64-builtins.c also includes headers not listed
> here. (function.h, basic-block.h, for example) Are we supposed to
> manually keep track of the transitive header dependencies and keep the
> makefiles up to date, or is there some sort of automatic dependency
> management that is happening on our behalf? Something along the lines of
> some of the answers provided here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2394609/makefile-header-dependencies

The automatic dependency patch series
<https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-09/msg01662.html> did not
generally address target-specific files (though it updated t-i386 as an
example); see <https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-07/msg01218.html>
for more discussion of what it did not include.  It is quite possible that
some places are specifying dependencies manually unnecessarily.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com