This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: state of play/strategy for including Modula-2 into the trunk (licence queries)
- From: Gaius Mulley <gaius dot mulley at southwales dot ac dot uk>
- To: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- Cc: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 13:27:57 +0100
- Subject: Re: state of play/strategy for including Modula-2 into the trunk (licence queries)
- References: <878sq5ybp3.fsf@j228-gm.comp.glam.ac.uk> <87blv0vggz.fsf@oldenburg2.str.redhat.com>
Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> writes:
> * Gaius Mulley:
>
>> gm2 does use GNU libpth (to create context and switch contexts).
>> Although it doesn't need libpth for single process programs. I think
>> the GNU libpth project is no longer maintained, so I've included it in:
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gm2.git/tree/gcc-versionno/libgm2/libpth/pth
>
> libpth is dead upstream, I think, so it's not an ideal choice.
>
>> I assuming this is okay as it is an official GNU project? It contains
>> the important clause:
>>
>>> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>>> modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
>>> License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
>>> version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>>
>> in its source files - so I plan to bump this to GPL3 with runtime
>> exception. Is this sensible and what is expected?
>
> Copyright has not been assigned to the FSF, so I wouldn't recommend
> making this change without consulting the major copyright holders
> first.
ah thanks - really useful info, I hadn't realised the copyright was not
assigned to the FSF.
> The question is whether this is really necessary. Obviously, there is
> no requirement to ship all supporting code under the GPL version 3 or
> later for GCC. See the libffi subdirectory, which has its own
> license.
sure I think it is looking sensible to stop using libpth. gm2 only
needs the two basic primitives create a context and switch to a context
in any case. Furthermore it only needs these if the user wants
coroutines. For most Modula-2 programs it isn't required.
> (Note: I'm just a random bystander here, this is not official policy.)
the feedback is really helpful - thanks,
regards,
Gaius