Re: git conversion of GCC wwwdocs repository

Hi!

On 2019-09-24T22:51:18-0400, Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 6:16 PM Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

Again, thanks for working on this!  The conversion seems good to me (but
I only had a quick look).

As mentioned at the Cauldron, I shall uninstall CVS from my systems once
this is done.  ;-)

>> > I note that the author map just uses the
>> > committer's current email address, meaning I have commits using my
>> > @redhat.com address nearly a decade before I started working at Red
>> > Hat. But that's a small price to pay for moving from CVS to Git in my
>> > opinion. And t's arguably correct to have all my commits under one
>> > identity rather than several different ones anyway.

(That last sentence/point I don't understand.)

>> If people prefer to use @gcc.gnu.org addresses, that's a small matter of
>> adjusting the postprocessing of the author map from the gcc-conversion
>> repository to replace the addresses there with username@gcc.gnu.org while
>> keeping the names from that author map.  (The postprocessing is needed
>> anyway for this conversion because cvs-fast-export uses a more restricted
>> author map syntax than reposurgeon does.  Because there is no ChangeLog in
>> wwwdocs, more sophisticated systems for identifying the relevant email
>> address for each commit from the ChangeLog aren't practical the same way
>> they are for the main GCC repository.)
>
> That would be my preference.

It's also my preference to just use '@gcc.gnu.org' addresses, with or
even without user names mapped/prepended.

Or even use an "unknown" Git author for all Git commits, and use each
revision's CVS author for the Git committer.  After all, we can't be sure
that the CVS author is the actual author (and thus Git author) of the
respective CVS revision.

(That'd also have been my pragmatic suggestion for the main GCC
reporitory conversion, but I see that people now have invested effort in
a more sophisticated solution.)

Grüße
 Thomas