This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] Deprecate -frepo option.
- From: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: Nathan Sidwell <nathan at acm dot org>
- Cc: Martin Liška <mliska at suse dot cz>, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely dot gcc at gmail dot com>, Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, Iain Sandoe <idsandoe at googlemail dot com>, "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, David Edelsohn <dje dot gcc at gmail dot com>, Jan Hubicka <hubicka at ucw dot cz>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 13:09:36 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Deprecate -frepo option.
- References: <email@example.com> <B2D95072-A88E-4BAA-9F33-E46685EDFE9A@googlemail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAH6eHdTPwE+6xv7n6HMsCmH-Ei=zTLN+vmAB-51=CzytmjEJFQ@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <20190621115838.GX815@tucnak> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20190621141309.GY815@tucnak> <CAFiYyc3mw2hitAyp-Xfucv5sAM6TbmTyHyicGTKWGSi5znPrgA@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAFiYyc3h-5GPtA1rNNz1q580s+6EFJ-KyDkZu+UV3XnmDbaF5g@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAH6eHdQAvoJJOQuU5gii2nAri1DzjDgDrHTkf85WDjC+Z_hbUw@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAFiYyc39T+L2VtcjhLerQikR_doJwtwT2hqxdwHkvDyms1pMiA@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:02 PM Nathan Sidwell <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 9/5/19 6:03 AM, Martin Liška wrote:
> > On 9/5/19 12:01 PM, Richard Biener wrote:
> >> On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 2:57 PM Nathan Sidwell <email@example.com> wrote:
> >>> On 9/4/19 7:20 AM, Martin Liška wrote:
> >>>> On 9/4/19 11:22 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> >>>>> The point of the warning was to see if users complain. Three weeks
> >>>>> isn't a very long time to see if users are going to complain :-)
> >>>> I see :) That said, I'm going to install the patch close to the end
> >>>> of stage1.
> >>> I think it'd be ok to install it during stage3 (perhaps early feb?).
> >>> More chance of people speaking up.
> >> I just checked and trunk doesn't spit out a warning for me so this
> >> needs people to use 9.2+ to notice.
> > Yep, it's intentional. Only GCC 9 branch prints the warning:
> > $ gcc-9 -frepo main.cpp
> > cc1plus: warning: ‘-frepo’ is deprecated and will be removed in a future release [-Wdeprecated]
> > As we plan to remove it for trunk, it does not make sense to print the warning for trunk.
> IMHO it very much makes sense for trunk to warn.
> old-gcc: deprecated
> trunk: not deprectated
> conclusion: it is no longer deprecated
Once we remove -frepo it will be an option we simply ignore - correct? Then
people won't notice it isn't used anymore (unless it fixes the build
OTOH we figured -frepo is broken beyond repair so unless somebody steps
up to actually _fix_ its issues I'm not sure what we should do when some
people come around and say they use the option?
So, let's just remove it now?
> Nathan Sidwell