Re: On-Demand range technology [6/5] - Integration

On 6/7/19 8:25 AM, Richard Biener wrote:
On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 10:56 PM Andrew MacLeod <amacleod@redhat.com> wrote:
After the various discussions, I've evaluated how I think everything can
fit together, so this is my proposal for integration with trunk.

The complete Ranger prototype consists of 5 major  components, one of
which is missing/un-implemented as yet :-)

1 - irange -      This is the non-symbolic range implementation we've
been using which represents ranges as groups of ordered sub-ranges.
2 - range-ops -  This is the component which extracts ranges from
statements, and so performs the functionality of extract_range_from_*,
except it operates on the irange API and also allows for solving of
operands other than just the LHS of the expression.
3 - GORI-computes -  This is the component which utilizes range-ops to
compute a range on an outgoing edge for any ssa-name in the definition
chain of the branch
        a_3 = b_6 * 2
        d_8 = a_3 - 20
       if (d_8 < 30)
     the GORI-compute component can generate ranges for d_8, a_3 and b_6.
4 - GORI-Cache and the Ranger.  Working together, this provides the
on-demand range functionality to resolve ranges
5 - relational/equivalency tracker - This is the sketched out but
unimplemented bit which tracks the symbolic relationships, and remove
the need for ranges to support symbolics. ( <,<=, >, >=, ==, != and none).

The consensus appears to be that range-ops and gori-computes are good
candidates to replace aspects of vr-values and assert generation.

A)
Until I get to (5) (relational tracker), using (1) (irange) is a
non-starter since it doesn't handle symbolics.

To eliminate the range issue from the equation,  Aldy is currently
working on unifying the irange and value_range APIs.   This will allow
the rest of the ranger code base to use the value_range implementation
transparently.   We can talk about irange or some alternate
implementation of ranges at some later point, but there'll be an API
that works for all clients.

The existing value_range API gets a few tweaks/cleanups, but mostly
there is an additional set of calls to query sub-ranges which the ranger
and range-ops require. These routines basically translate the various
value ranges formats into discrete sub-ranges.  Thru these rotuines,
ANTI_RANGE will appear as 2 sub-ranges, VARYING as a [MIN, MAX] range,
and UNDEFINED as an empty range [].  These additions should allow
value_range to function as the range implementation for both the ranger
and VRP.

I suspect he will have patches coming shortly that will help to unify
the 2 range implementations, we can discuss details over those patches..

B)
A Unified range API then allows us to work on integrating the range-ops
and GORI-computes component into the code base.   Range ops would
replace the various extract_range_from_*_ routines in vr_values for
statement level ranges.  GORI-computes would then replace the assert
building code for calculating outgoing ranges on edges.  In theory EVRP
then simply calls range_on_edge() from gori_compute instead of
register_edge_assert() .

The range ops code is designed to perform all evaluations assuming an
arbitrary number of sub-ranges.  Aldy spent a lot of time last year
unifying the VRP code and the range-ops code to get the identical
results, and they frequently share a common base. He  has gone thru
excruciating care to ensure the calculations are identical and verifies
it by calculating everything using both code bases, comparing them, and
aborting if the results ever get diverge.

We will need to adjust the range-ops code to work with symbolics in
certain place. This means PLUS, MINUS, all the relations (<,>, etc), and
copy. Probably something else as it is encountered. This is un-sized as
yet, but I'm hoping won't be too bad assuming we can utilize some of the
existing code for those bits..  More details when we actually start
doing this and find the lurking dragons.

we'll worry about bitmasks and equivalencies when we get closer to
functioning, but I don't foresee too much problem since value_range_base
is still being used.

C)  That will keep us busy for a while, and should result in the core
integration.   Meanwhile, we'll try to figure out the relational code
design. I'll go back to my original design, adjust that, then we can
figure out how best to proceed to address the various needs.

D) Finally, the GORI-cache and on-demand ranger are blocked until the
above work is finished.

One additional thing I would like to do eventually is tweak EVRP
slightly to align with the ranger model.

The ranger API is basically just 5 entry points which the ranger uses to
determine ranges.
      range_of_expr  - range of a use on a statement
      range_of_stmt  - range of the result of the statement, (calculated
by range-ops).
      range_on_edge - range on an edge - (provided by gori_computes)
      range_on_entry - range on entry to a block (provided by gori-cache)
      range_on_exit - range after the last statement in a block

Abstracted and simplified, I believe EVRP functions more or less like
this? :

- EVRP  starts a block with it's "current range" vector initialized to
the range on entry values. (provided as you step into the block),
- It then walks the IL for the block, evaluating each statement,
possibly simplifying,  and updating this current range vector.
- when it reaches the bottom of the block, it calculates outgoing ranges
on each edge and updates those  to provide a current range at the start
each successor block.
Actually EVRP computes range on entry when starting a block
from "current range" vector plus the ranges derived from a
controlling expression on a single predecessor edge.
It does not push any ranges for outgoing edges.  This is because
it uses the simple DOM-walk stack to push/pop conditional info.

ah, ok. so it just pulls the range from an incoming edge rather than pushing on outgoing edges.

It should not be too difficult to pull aditional incoming ranges when they are available then.

Does this seem reasonable?
I think that's a reasonable plan.  You may be aware that we added a
very "simple" (implementation-wise) on-demand query to VRP
called determine_value_range () that computes a range for a
GENERIC expression rather than an SSA name.  On the bottom
it relies on SSA name range info in the IL instead of walking
use-def chains and controlling conditions there (but I even had a
patch to add that ability at some point).

Ranger probably lacks the parsing of GENERIC expressions
at the moment?

no such facility right now...  but I would expect it to be mostly driven by calls into the range-ops code.   Who is the consumer of that?