GCC GSoC 2019 projects: announcement and a mandatory first step

[Sorry for a re-post, I forgot to write a subject and as a consequence
the email did not make it through to the mailing list]

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that six students will be working on GCC or
GCC-related Google Summer of Code (GSoC) projects:

  - JeanHeyd Meneide will be working on improving libstdc++, focusing on
    vector<bool> and related algorithms and data structures (see
    https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2019-02/msg00004.html and the
    ensuing thread for more details),

  - Tejas Joshi will be working on adding new builtins for math
    functions introduced in IEC 18661 and thus exposing them to
    optimizations,

  - Akshat Garg will be making sure that gcc/g++ do not automatically
    promote memory_order_consume to memory_order_acquire,

  - Giuliano Belinassi will be parallelizing GCC with Threads,

  - Khurai Kim will be working on implementing OpenMP Work Stealing
    Scheduling scheduling options, and

  - Shubham Narlawar will be working on enabling generation of GCC
    extensions by the CSmith fuzzer.

I'd like to congratulate all of them for putting together very solid
proposals and wish them best of luck with their projects.

The GSoC program has now entered its "community bonding period" which
lasts until May 27th.  One of the most important things all accepted
students who are expected to contribute directly to GCC code base should
do in this time is to request a copyright assignment[1] as soon as you
can (i.e. everybody but Shubham who is however also invited to do so).

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and they will
send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.  Use your
full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject line of the
message.

REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

Please report back to me when you have completed the process or if you
encounter any issues and/or unreasonably long delays.

Because GCC targets many computer platforms, you may also find it very
useful to get an account on the compile farm[2] so that you can test
your code on a variety of architectures.  Of course, you should get in
touch with your mentors unless you have already done so.  Last but not
least feel free to raise any question you might have on an appropriate
mailing list[3] or say hi to us on the gcc development IRC channel [4].

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the organizational part
of GSoC 2019, feel free to contact me throughout the duration of the
program.

Once more, congratulations and good luck!

Martin

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal
[2] https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm
[3] https://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html