Re: GSOC Proposal

On 2019-04-01 5:56 a.m., Richard Biener wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, nick wrote:

>>> While I'm aware of three areas where the shared state is an issue
>>> currently:
>>> 1, Compiler's Proper
>>> 2. The expand_functions
>>> 3. RTL
> [...]
>>> be shared by the threads).
>>>
>>> This is what we were discussing previously and I wrote my proposal for
>>> that. You however seem confused about what parts of the garbage collector
>>> would be touched. That's fine with me, however seems you want be to
>>> be more exact about which part  is touched.
>>>
>>> My questions would be as it's changed back to the garbage collector project:
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BKVeh62IpigsQYf_fJqkdu_js0EeGdKtXInkWZ-DtU0/edit
>>>
>>> 1. Your confusion about which part of the garbage collector is touched doesn't
>>> really make sense s it's for the whole garbage collector as related to shared
>>> state?
>>> 2. Injection was my code here in phase 3 for the callers of the new functions or
>>> macros, perhaps this is not needed as the work with the garbage collector is enough?
>>> 3. Am I not understanding this project as I thought I was in the proposal I wrote?
>>>
>>> Seems your more confusing my wording probably so I'm going to suggest one of
>>> two things here:
>>> a) I'm going to allow you to make comments with what's confusing you and
>>> it needs that's the issue here more than anything else so I sent you
>>> a link and please comment where you are having issues with this not
>>> be clear for you:
>>> Or maybe a project to be more
>>> explicit about regions of the code that assume that the garbage-
>>> collector can't run within them?[3] (since the GC is state that would
>>> be shared by the threads).
>>> as that's the actual project
>>>
>>> b) Just comment here about the wording that's an issue for you or
>>> where you want more exact wording
>>>
>>> Sorry and hopefully this is helps you understand where I'm going,
>>> Nick

>> Richard,
>>
>> Seems your right touching the complete garbage collector is too much. I'm
>> just looking at the users of the garbage collector and it seems one of the
>> major ones is pre compiled headers.
>>
>> I've narrowed it down to that. My own real final concern is two things:
>> 1. Does it make sense to you in my writing?
>> 2. Should callers inject the information for state sharing as required
>> as that seems better or is it better for the garbage collector to  store
>> the state sharing flags,marcos and functions internally for this.
>>
>> Thanks and seems I was over thinking the last proposal it's too much:),
>
> Nick,
>
> as I've previously explained the garbage collector (and
> precompiled-headers) workings are understood well and its state
> is already annotated everywhere.  What I do not understand is
> what "global state" with respect to parallelization in GCC you
> refer to when you write about the garbage collector and how
> annotating helps parallelization.  The garbage collector itself
> is only an issue for parallelization as far as it is not
> thread-safe at the moment.  Collection already only happens
> at very specific points where it is known to be safe.

Well I'm talking about the shared roots of this garbage collector core state
data structure or just struct ggc_root_tab.

But also this seems that this to be no longer shared globally if I'm not mistaken
or this:
static vec<const_ggc_root_tab_t> extra_root_vec;

Not sure after reading the code which is a bigger deal through so I wrote
my proposal not just asking which is a better issue for not being thread
safe. Sorry about that.

As for the second question injection seems to not be the issue or outside
callers but just internal so phase 3 or step 3 would now be:
Find internal callers or users of x where x is one of the above rather
than injecting outside callers. Which answers my second question about
external callers being a issue still.

Let me know which  of the two is a better issue:
1. struct ggc_root_tabs being shared
2.static vec<const_ggc_root_tab_t> extra_root_vec; as a shared heap or
vector of root nodes for each type of allocation

and I will gladly rewrite my proposal sections for that
as needs to be reedited.

Thanks,
Nick