Re: programming language that does not inhibit further optimization by gcc

Now I'm on a totally unrelated project, writing code in C, but still using
the GCC compiler under the hood.  The previous developers used raw pointers
quite a bit.  However, as I expand the code, I'd like to use some of the
features in C++, but Atmel Studio doesn't REALLY support C++.
 Code::Blocks is letting me turn warning flags on and off, but I don't see
the same for individual C++ features.  (Lots of subsets of C++, but I
really need a true superset of C.)

Is there some way to manually turn on individual C++17 features, one at a
time?  I read somewhere that you can, but I don't see the post online
anywhere.  And if I create a list of individual C++ features, can this made
into a kind of standard, shared with other programmers?  In other words,
I'd like to make use of lambdas, namespaces, smart pointers, range-based
for loops, and a few others that would save me a lot of time and maybe even
reduce the size of the binary (since we're very RAM limited in the embedded
world).

I'm writing about this on the Facebook page "C+ Project," which is open to
all programmers.