Re: GSoC

Hello Matias,

On Thu, Mar 14 2019, Matias Barrientos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Matías Barrientos, I am in my third year studying computing
> engineering at the Pontifical University of Valparaiso.
>
> I am very interested in contributing at GCC this year in GSoC. I have
> followed the steps of the link
> (https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode), so I was able to do bootstrap
> and installation of GCC in my computer.

Wonderful, we are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting
and happy to hear that you have got past the first steps.

> On the other hand, I have been studying GCC’s codes, optimization
> flags to be more specific. In that time I could realize that the
> warnings have their dependence among them, but that is not the case of
> optimization. This is how I have had the idea of implementing
> dependence among optimization flags by modifying the .opt files.
>
> It would be as follow:
>
> 1. Embed the attribute EnabledBy o LangEnabledBy to create the dependence.
> 2. Implement the dependency of the optimization flag (“-O<number>”) to
> detect the different levels.

Unfortunately, this project idea apparently has not quite caught much
attention.  I myself struggle with understanding what is supposed to be
dependent on what and don't think that simply mapping dependencies from
optimization levels to individual warning options is a project that
should span three months.  You'd need to substantially extend the scope
somehow or perhaps look for another idea, our wiki still has a few that
nobody took up.

If I misunderstood something, please feel free to correct me and/or ask
anything specific that you'd like to know about GCC.

Thanks,

Martin