Re: Indicating function exit points in debug data

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 09:11, Justin Paston-Cooper
<paston.cooper@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Segher> How should this work with shrink-wrapping?  The whole point of that is
> > > Segher> you do not tear down the frame after all other code, etc.  I don't see
> > > Segher> how we can do better than putting this DW_LNS_set_epilogue_begin right
> > > Segher> before the actual return -- and that is after all the tear down etc.
> > >
> > > I think it's fine if the epilogue marker is inexact or missing from
> > > optimized code, because (1) that's the current state, and (2) it doesn't
> > > really make sense to talk about an epilogue in some cases.
> > >
> > > Similarly, IMO it is fine not to worry about non-local exits.  You can
> > > already catch exceptions and examine them in gdb -- the epilogue marker
> > > feature is mostly to address the unmet need of wanting to set a
> > > breakpoint at the end of a function.
> >
> > Btw, the feature I am missing is not breaking at the end of a function
> > but conditionally breaking on a specific return value of a specific function.
> > Those are probably related but my usecase might be easier because
> > the return value location is defined by the ABI and catching the actual
> > return assembly instruction should already work.
> >
> > > Ideally, in -O0 / -Og code, the marker would be reliable where it
> > > appears.
> > >
> > > It would be great if there was a way to indicate the location of the
> > > value-to-be-returned in the DWARF.  That way gdb could extract it at the
> > > epilogue point.  AFAIK this would require a DWARF extension.
> >
> > The ABI specifies this at the 'ret' instruction?
>
> Would this still allow inspection of the function's final state, where
> it returns, apart from its return value? That is the original
> behaviour I had in mind. Also for completeness it would be nice if
> this feature supported inline functions too. 'ret' would not be a
> solution for that. From what Segher said, I understand that the
> 'epilogue_begin' marker is put right before the 'ret' instruction if
> it exists. Does gdb have another way of finding the real epilogue
> beginning, before registers are restored?
I've looked at function.c a bit more, and I see what Segher is getting
at. Also, given that a function might have multiple return statements
pointing to a single 'ret' instruction, I'm not sure that 'ret' is the
best solution. I also see that there will only be a single epilogue,
so that would not be useful either.