Re: AVR __progmem__ variable reading

David Brown writes:

> On 25/02/2019 18:09, Łukasz Kostka wrote:
>>

>>> Wiadomość napisana przez David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> w dniu 25.02.2019, o godz. 08:43:

>>> No, neither ARM nor RISC-V has instructions to access data in flash or read-only data - that is /precisely/ the point.  Such data is accessed exactly like ram data and any other data, using the same instructions and from the same single flat memory space.
>> Aha :-) So I just declare variable static const and voila. Well that is great. Another strong paint to migrate to newer platforms.
>>

> Exactly, yes.  (Or you can use non-static const if that is more
> appropriate.)
>
> With the AVR, you can also use "const" like normal - but the data will
> be allocated a space in ram and copied over from flash to ram at
> startup.  That way it can be read like any other data, without special
> consideration, address spaces, pgm_read_byte, etc.  But of course, it
> takes up space in ram - so it is fine for small constants, but perhaps a
> waste of valuable ram resources for tables or strings.

FWIW, chips with the "avrxmega3" ISA, like the attiny416,
attiny816, attiny3216 (and almost all new devices releaesd in the last
year or so) have flash mapped into the data address space. For those
devices, rodata remains in flash and the compiler emits data address
space instructions (LDS, LD..) for reads - no wasted RAM.

Regards
Senthil