Re: [GSOC] Simple things to play with (Was: variations in testsuite results)

Hi Siddhartha,

On Sat, Feb 02 2019, Siddhartha Sen wrote:
> Hey Marting,
>                     I have disabled the boottrap and am able to bootstrap
> the compiler on my own. I have done as you said and have experimented a bit
> with gdb as well. I was facing trivial problems but nothing that the
> internet did not have answers for. I have done most of the things on the
> list - I have built,compiled,debugged as well as tested variations in gcc.
> However, I am unable to understand the project ideas here
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GettingStarted. Could you suggest something
> trivial before I look into these in order to get a proper understanding?
> Like any microproject or miniproject would be alright.
> Thanks

I apologize for my late reply again.  One reason is that my TODO list
kind of exploded last week but another is that it is difficult to think
of an easy project in GCC.  Easy things usually get immediately done,
starting to contribute to GCC is unfortunately usually a bit hard.  On
the other hand, it is better to ask such questions on the mailing list
(CCed) in the future, it can well happen someone else will be able to
help you (faster).

In any event, I guess it now mostly comes down to selecting a specific
part of GCC you want to look into.  At this point I'd recommend looking
at the "Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files" project idea
from our wiki page (the likely mentor, Honza, is also in CC).  What you
want to do as the first step is to compile some simple (almost
hello-world-like), program with options "-flto -save-temps -v" and
examine the compiler output (especially the command lines invoking the
various steps of LTO compilation, some of which you will want to re-run
within gdb) and the various file it keeps around, especially the *.s
ones that are not called ltrans-something, which you'd eventually want
to eliminate.

Most of the data writing/reading is done in the libiberty library so
look at that, along with code in gcc/lto/*.[ch] which invokes it.  IIUC,
the project basically means implementing direct output of ELF-format
field, from libiberty instead of the assembler one, so look into ELF
format too.  And perhaps Honza can suggest some further exploratory
steps for you too.

Good luck,

Martin