Re: Regarding GSOC Projects

Hello Aadrit,

On Sun, Jan 20 2019, Aadrit Aggarwal wrote:
> Greetings for the day!!
> I'm an undergraduate in my 2nd year at Punjab Engineering College,
> Chandigarh. I'm pursuing CSE.
> This mail is regarding GSOC Projects.
>
> *It's my first time, that I'd be participating in an open source event, and
> apparently first time in GSOC.*
>
> I was going through your idea list,  and I'm keen to contribute to some of
> the projects. As I have expertise in C, C++ Language, Algorithm Analysis
> etc, I'd like to work on projects   involving these technologies.

We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.  On the
other hand, I am worried that you also need at least some rudimentary
theoretical background in the area of compilers in order to apply.

Nevertheless, you can definitely try yourself and see how difficult it
will be.  Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the
idea page https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and
make sure you are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it
generate dumps and step through some function during compilation.

Afterwards, if you still find contributing to GCC interesting, look at
a suggested idea, try to identify the portion of GCC source which is
involved and email us back to the mailing list, describing which idea
you liked best and what your thoughts about it are.

Good luck,

Martin