Re: [RFC] Update Stage 4 description

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019, Paul Koning wrote:

> Is there, or should there be, a distinction between primary and
> non-primary platforms?  While platform bugs typically require fixes in
> platform-specific code, I would think we would want to stay away from
> bugfixes in minor platforms during stage 4.  The wording seems to say
> that I could fix wrong-code bugs in pdp11 during stage 4; I have been
> assuming I should not do that.  Is this something that should be
> explicitly stated?

In target-specific code for a minor target you can more or less do as you
want - but the decision on when to branch won't take account of what
you're doing for a minor target, so any major work runs the risk of the
branch happening at an unstable point in the middle of that work.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com