Source code coverage of gcc

Hi,
I have a random C program as a test case, for which I need to do
source code coverage on gcc.
I have used the gcov tool and further the lcov tool. The percentage of
source code coverage which I get after using gcov, Is that the final %
which I need to do gcc source code coverage?

What does it mean to build gcc with -pg option, how does that help in
source code coverage?

Thanks,
Sameeran Joshi